Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Pork and Broccoli Stir-Fry

Yummy!! Tonight's dinner was delicious. 
Tonight's dinner was supposed to be last night's dinner, but somebody ended up working until 9:30 last night. So I had all of the prep work done yesterday. I cut up the pork tenderloin, shredded the carrots and sliced the vegetables It all took about 30 minutes. Then when I got home from work today all I had to do was throw all of the ingredients onto the stove top. The recipe says it makes 4 servings, but I would say that it makes about 6 (not counting the servings Jason and Bradley had for seconds). We invited Jason over to share our feast so we didn't end up eating leftovers for days. We're still eating the brussels sprouts.

I was so excited to find this huge container of sesame seeds at the grocery store, and even better, they're already toasted! It was in the ethnic food section. The last recipe that called for sesame seeds I had to buy in a container like the dill seed pictured below, then I toasted them myself. It makes a pretty big mess. I found a sesame seed next to the sink in the bathroom last week. No telling how it got there. 

This container ought to last a while!

I had to buy a lot of ingredients at the grocery store that I've never purchased before, such as rice vinegar and hoisin sauce. I've never even heard of hoisin sauce. It tastes like the sauce you get on broccoli and beef at Chinese buffets. Yummy! I didn't mind buying all of the different sauces, they were mostly pretty cheap and they are used in a lot of the recipes. 

I would guess that tonight's dinner cost about $3 per serving if you divide it by 6 servings. Aunt Patti asked how I calculated my costs. Tonight I'm only including the meat and the vegetables. I didn't include the staples like rice, and the sauces. 

Here's a pic of the final creation:
 That's the close up. 


That's the skillet I cooked it in, it's great for stir frying things. Notice the rice cooker in the background. You can't make good rice without it. 

We enjoyed our dinner by a cozy fire. 

It's rainy and cold here today. 

Served over a bed of rice:



Jason getting seconds:
Poor Jason, he didn't know what he was getting into when he agreed to come over for dinner!

 Soux chef and Jason say:
Look at Jason's thumb's. They're double jointed!

What a fun dinner!

3 comments:

  1. JASON! It's so great to see you! I wish Stephanie was there to visit with you, too! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Baton Rouge and taught Holly's kids when they were in middle school. I also love her cookbooks! Thanks for testing the recipes from her latest book. I look forward to following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! I have the cookbook, so we will have to try this recipe. Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete