Pages

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Morning Muffins

First off I want to thank the creator of "Mom's Plans" for mentioning my blog on her website!
She gave a lovely little review. You should definitely check out her website. It's not just for moms, it's wonderful for anyone who wants great ideas for money and time saving ideas.
http://www.momsplans.com/

Next order of business: Morning Muffins
Bradley has to work all weekend so I thought I would show some sympathy and make him breakfast. 

I chose the morning muffins because they have some healthy ingredients and I had most of them in the pantry. I only had to buy golden raisins and shredded carrots. 

I had a little issue with the brown sugar. It seems that if you leave it in the pantry for too long (3 years) it solidifies. I used it anyway because I had already started cooking, but I couldn't get it to mix in well. 

Here's a photo of the finished product:


They were a bit dry, but pretty good. I think they may have turned out better with fresh brown sugar. You get a few bitter bites mixed with a few sweet ones.
A curious thing happened to the carrots after I cooked them, the ones exposed at the top turned green. You can kind of tell from the above picture. If I make these again I would shred my own carrots. The ones that I bought already shredded were a little coarse. 
The recipe made 21 muffins and the ingredients that I bought cost $4.00. So a pretty cheap breakfast when you compare that to one muffin from starbucks!

Soux chef isn't here to give a rating, so I'll substitue for him:
Sideways thumb! I might try it again with better brown sugar to give it a fair shot.


2 comments:

  1. They make discs or gingerbread people shaped clay pieces to keep brown sugar soft. and they work great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made the carrot cake - delicious - but also had the same issue with carrots turning green. I've never had that happen before.Taste was not affected but the color was a bit of a turn off...

    ReplyDelete