Pages

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Wasabi Crab Cakes with Ginger Sauce

Hmmmm....where to begin?
I made crab cakes tonight and they were unlike any other crab cakes I've ever had. Let me just say that the ingredients say: 1 1/2 tablespoons wasabi paste (according to taste). 
Well I like spicy so I went ahead and added the entire 1 1/2 tablespoons. When we got to eating them I started thinking, "surely the recipe said 1 1/2 teaspoons and I just misread it." But no, I read it right the first time. They were great, you just couldn't taste anything other than the wasabi paste. 
Here's the offensive ingredient:
I'm still amazed by Panko bread crumbs. They're amazing!


The recipe included a ginger sauce which I served on the side:


A close up:


 We ate on a TV tray in front of the fireplace. It snowed today and it just seemed appropriate.


It's hard to give this recipe a rating because I put too much wasabi paste. We're going to try this one again in the future to give it a fair rating. 


My original plan was to make them twice anyway. For tonights batch I used imitation crab meat. It only cost $3 compared to $8 for the real stuff. Remember I'm in TN and seafood isn't cheap here. 
So I thought I would try an experiment and see if you could taste the difference between imitation and real crab meat. 
The total cost of tonights meal was $10. The recipe made 5 crab cakes and the sauce. $5 a person. I honestly couldn't eat all of mine. I could feel my sinuses burning up to my brain, but Bradley polished his off with 4 glasses of tea. 

Tomorrow night we're having family night. I'll tell you all about family night tomorrow. 

3 comments:

  1. Once we went to a Chinese restaurant and our friend thought a blob of wasabi was an olive. He popped the whole thing in his mouth! I thought we were going to have to take him to the hospital! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha!!!! Dad did that before too, he thought it was guacamole! We all just laughed and watched him do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, I made the Wasabi/Mango tuna tacos the other night (still need to add it to the blog) and I was worried I used to much wasabi too - the recipe gave you a choice between the amount, and I opted for more over less, but it ended up being ok! I am going to make a note in my cookbook next to this recipe for when I try it! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete