Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

Southwestern Rice

This delicious vegetarian dish was super easy to make and it completely "hit the spot" Monday night. 
The most involved part about making this dish is cooking the rice. I used brown rice for the first time ever. It came out great. Bradley doesn't like brown rice, so I didn't tell him that I used it to see if he would notice, and he didn't! I think a rice cooker is magical and an absolute must when cooking rice. 
The rest of the ingredients came out of a can. I didn't even have to chop anything because I had chopped green onions leftover from the shrimp and corn soup we had last week. 

You can see it makes a ton of food. The book says 8 servings, but we had quite an appetite this week so it made 6 servings for us. We took the spicy advice and made it into a burrito the second night using the leftover meat from the taco salads we had last week and leftover wraps from the BBQ chicken quesadillas. 


Sous chef gave this 2 thumbs up! (it took 50 minutes to bake in the oven and I think anything would have gotten 2 thumbs up he was so hungry), but it definitely deserves two thumbs up. 
I love vegetarian meals because they are so cheap. The ingredients for this meal cost $8 and with our hungry appetites it made 6 servings which is $1.30 per serving. Next time you hear someone say it's impossible to eat healthy food for a decent price refer them to Holly Clegg's cookbooks!

1 comment:

  1. Looks great. I love all of Holly's recipes. My sister has given me many of her books over the years. I might just need this one too! I got the Gulf Coast Favorites one for my birthday. I'm loving it.

    ReplyDelete