Pages

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Southwestern Shrimp, Corn and Sweet Potato Soup

We had another snowy day in Nashville, so I thought it was time for some more soup. 

Butters exploring the snow.

This soup was delicious and it only took me about 20 min to prepare. I used real Louisiana sweet potatoes that my grandmother sent me from St. Francisville. They are delicious. She buys them from the 4H club there in 20lb boxes. Much sweeter than the sweet potatoes that grow here in Nashville, smaller too which makes them easier to chop for soups. The onion and sweet potato were all that needed to be chopped. The rest of the ingredients came from a frozen bag or a can. I put them directly into one pot and let it boil for 20 min. Just be sure you use a large pot because this filled up my largest pot. It makes a lot of soup, 12 servings to be exact. 146 calories for 1 cup of soup and 1 gram of fat. If you're trying to lose some weight this is the way to go. It was very filling for that kind of nutritional information. 


Sous chef is from TN and he has never had shrimp and corn soup before. It was funny to see his reaction to the fact that shrimp and corn go so well together. We grew up eating this in my house. 

He gave the recipe 2 thumbs up, as did I. The flavoring is comparable to the soup they serve at the Chimes, minus the sweet potatoes.


Notice how large the green onions are in this cup. Just as a side note, they're not as good when they're that big.

This recipe cost $7 for the shrimp (I used frozen), $1 for the frozen corn, and $2.50 for the canned ingredients. The rest were spices that we had in the pantry already, and the sweet potatoes were free! That's $10.50 total, making this recipe a whopping 0.87 cents per serving. Unbelievable! Weight loss and money saving. 

3 comments:

  1. One of my favorite soups! Every time I make it on TV around the country, everyone at the studio wants the recipe and many have said they were making it tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hardly see Butters in all that snow! We are having 5 - 6 inches of snow tonight. I might make some soup! Looks delicious!
    Love you!
    Aunt Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious and I know I'd love. That soup at the Chimes was always my fave when I was at LSU in the 80s!!And sweet potatoes makes everything better :-)

    ReplyDelete