Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

Taco Salad

Honestly, I chose this recipe because I went to Costco last weekend and bought this huge thing of lettuce. It was only $3, which I thought was a really good deal, but between the two of us there's no way we can it eat all. I'll stick to Kroger for lettuce from now on.


While at Costco I also bought 5, 1 pound packages of lean ground beef for $10! That's $2 a pound! So we have a lot of beef in the freezer that expires May 11, 2011.

That being said this was the perfect recipe to use up some of the ingredients in the fridge and freezer.  I didn't have to make a trip to the store for any ingredients. I love when that happens! I didn't have any tomatoes, but we just did without.
The recipe took about 20 minutes from start to finish. It was super easy. 
I used a rice cooker for the rice, a cutting board and a pot to cook the meat in. Clean up took about 5 min. I love easy dinners on Sunday nights. 




You can't see the meat and rice mixture on the bottom pic, but it's there. 
For a salad this was pretty filling because of the rice. 
This recipe had 419 calories and 10 grams of fat, which is a bit more than Holly Clegg's recipes usually have. I guess the numbers came from the cheese and the rice. 
I loved it. It was easy to prepare and I had all of the ingredients in the fridge, some of which would have gone bad had we not used them (lettuce and sour cream).
Sous chef gives it 1 thumb up for taste but a sideways thumb for creativity. I give it one thumb up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment